Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday, January 25, 2013

Writing Essentials

For this semester I have chosen the book "Writing Essentials: Raising Expectations while Simplifying Teaching" by Regie Routman. Writing is one of my favorite things to teach to my young students, however I sometimes struggle with creating and developing new ways to address my diverse population of students.

After reading the first chapter of this book, I love it! Chapter 1 focuses on simplifying the teaching of writing. One thing that really stuck out was when the author stated that she commonly found teachers who said the harder the worked on teaching writing, the more resistant their students became. Wow! That makes so much sense to me. We are always so focused on increasing results on testing and less focused on what the students are actually thinking. All I ever hear is "conventions, conventions, conventions!" This is what our students need to pass. Writing is not about passing a state test. It is about thinking, communicating, inquiring, and exploring langauge.

This chapter identified 12 writing essentials for all grade levels:
-Write for a specific reader and a meaningful purpose.
-Determine an appropriate topic.
-Present ideas clearly, with a logical, well-organized flow.
-Elaborate on ideas.
-Embrace language.
-Create engaging leads.
-Compose satisfying endings.
-Craft authentic voice.
-Reread, rethink, and revise while composing.
-Apply correct conventions and form.
-Read widely and deeply- and with a writer's perspective.
-Take responsibility for producing effective writing.

I am very engaged and excited to dig deeper into this book! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does this blog help you teach reading?